Sustainability for companies can be approached from different perspectives in the form of interactive sessions and hands-on activities which include short workshops, and seminars or courses of several days offered by Eedama. These services ensure a durable impact in the workspace, household and community.
Example of Seminars & Workshops
- Sustainable Development & Environmental Crisis
- Sustainable Development & Solar Energy
- Sustainable Farming: Aquaponics
- Waste Water Recycling & Natural Treatment
- Food Waste & Composting
- Thermal Comfort
- Urban & Architecture Sustainable Design
- Markets & Regulations to the Region
- Technology & Ethics
Courses rely on both solid gathering of scientific knowledge and hands-on witnessing of real-life solutions. Professional training covers a diverse range of topics and skills, examples are as follows:
1. Focus on Sustainable Development:
- - Sustainability Concepts: The environmental crisis and history of sustainable development concepts & Urgency of sustainable development solutions and existing initiatives
- - Sustainable Energy: Status of scientific understanding on climate & the importance of renewable energy sources
- – Other Sustainability Questions: Sustainable cities - Recycling and water - Waste - Transportation - Food - Energy efficiency
- – Brainstorming Solutions: Interactive session: proposing a sustainable solution
2. Sustainability in the Gulf
This tackles the actual sustainability market and the existing and planned policies, mostly at the UAE national level, as well as the specific cases of Abu Dhabi and Dubai emirates. Other Gulf countries will be touched upon as well.
- Large scale solar photovoltaic energy (PV)
- Residential solar PV: new regulations (possibility of connecting to the grid)
- Sustainable neighbourhoods: existing, future projects (commercial or otherwise)
- Recycling: existing plants, future projects
- The case of fresh water
3. Solar Energy Focus
Solar energy is by far the main renewable resource available in the Middle East. This session will be an interactive course with moments of knowledge acquisition and discussion, as well as exercises. The main objectives of the course are to acquire technical, political and business understandings of solar energy. This will be a great opportunity for the participants to gain some technical insight.
- Fundamentals of energy.
- Photovoltaic energy conversion: scientific principles. Understanding the concept of efficiency.
- Market evolution and prospects
- Public policies and national markets
Solar Energy Courses & Training
Because we believe that learning is a continuous lifelong process, we offer to share our experience in various forms. Therefore we offer courses in a wide variety of subjects with adaptable durations. Our main topics are related to sustainability (at the workplace or at home) and renewable energy sources. On our courses knowledge acquisition builds through educational processes and collective situated activities. We offer the following courses
A) Sustainable Development and Solar Energy in the Gulf : 2 - 4 days
This course covers sustainable development in general and solar renewable electricity generation in the Gulf and especially in the UAE.
- Sustainable development: Definition, Public Policy and Business management.
- A guided tour with scientific and urbanistic explanations to innovative sustainable neighbourhoods (eg. Masdar City in Abu Dhabi)
- Interactive Seminar: Solar Electricity.
- Seminar: The present sustainability market in the Gulf. Sustainable cities, solar energy, recycling and water (with possible site visits and concrete examples from the UAE and the Gulf).
B) Solar for electricity: Solar Photovoltaic Energy: 4 hours to 2 days
Technologies, public policies and markets, with a focus on the potential in the Gulf region. This course can last. Includes an interactive workshop where participants will play the role of business owners, policy makers and/or environmental activists. The program includes:
- Solar Photovoltaics technology: Past, Present, Future
> Photovoltaics versus solar thermal
> Different technologies
> From sand to systems
> Domination of Chinese manufacturing
> Different emerging and established technologies
> Cost elements: cells, modules, systems, energy
- Site visit and/or Invitation of a guest speaker on the development of solar PV in the region
C) Optoelectronic Devices and Solar Photovoltaic Cells: 10-30 hours.
Course dedicated to a scientific audience about the fundamentals of solar photovoltaic electricity conversion. It can last 10-30 hours.
- Semiconductor Physics
- Diodes, PN junctions
- Solar Cells
- Silicon Solar Cells
- New generations of solar cells
- Other optoelectronic devices (LEDs, Photo-detectors)
*These courses cover topics of sustainable development, with a concentration on solar renewable electricity generation in the Gulf with a focus on the UAE. It is also suitable for undergraduate seniors or Graduate students in their first year in a field related to sustainable development or environmental related degrees (environmental sciences, geography, physics, biology...).